Sunday, September 9, 2012

Fun with Spray Paint and Freezer Paper!

Hi Everyone!  I can't say that I have ever used my blog to share a technique before, but I think I may have discovered something that other costumers might want to borrow, so I took step-by-step photos and decided to share it here.

First let me give you a little background information.  I have always relied heavily on various dying techniques in my designs, but in my current position at American Repertory Ballet, the shop doesn't have a facility that accommodates my messy habit!  I did however, inherit a huge collection of spray paints and these have become my new tool!  These aren't special paints, some are Krylon paints from the hardware store and some are Shoe Magix.  They all work just the same!  (I used to work as a silk screener, so I have always been fascinated by adding color to fabric.)

 One of our new ballets hasn't been allocated a budget just yet, so I have been creating costumes from 'free' fabric leftover from other projects or donated to us.  I am designing costumes for forest-dwelling fairies, and since I was told that fairies are gatherers, I have just been gathering what I can from within our shop.  The costumes above were made with 'found' fabric with interesting patterns and textures.  I also found some pretty ordinary mint green mesh and decided to figure out a way to add similar interest with a ginko leaf design motif.  Here is what you can do with freezer paper and spray paint:


Step 1: Draw designs onto freezer paper.  I folded the freezer paper several times to expedite the process.
Step 2: Cut out your designs.  (On the left is the boring mint-green mesh that is about to be painted!)
Step 3: Arrange your freezer paper designs on your fabric waxy side down.  With a dry warm iron (no steam), press the paper down; the wax will affix the paper to the fabric.  The paper becomes a 'resist' for the paint.  It is like stenciling in reverse.
Step 4: Find a place that is well-ventilated for spray painting.  If you are lucky, you have a spray booth; I am using nature for fresh air!  Lay out your fabric on plastic to protect the grass.  Then begin spraying your fabric with a sweeping motion to mist on color.  I used green at the top, brown in the center, and deep yellow at the bottom.
ooooh....here we go....
Step 5: After 3-5 minutes of dry time, peel your freezer paper designs off of the fabric.  Exciting!  My experiment worked!!!
Step 6: Try to think of a use for all of the wonderful spray-painted pieces of freezer paper you now have!  I know, I will decorate my bulletin board for fall!
Step 7: Sew your pretty spray-painted fabric into whatever your heart desires!
(Its a little fairy tunic)

 

No comments: