Thursday, December 18, 2008

2008 Wrap-Up

Hi Folks, one of the reasons I started this blog was so to keep some kind of portfolio going. Well, I haven't kept it up have I? In an attempt to do better, here is my 2008 wrap-up.

I've had the opportunity to design for many nifty choreographers this year, several for the first time, so I'll start there. At Marymount this year we had new choreography by David Parsons and Edwaard Liang. The first photos (all by the AMAZING and super-nice Rosalie O'Connor) are from the Parson's work. The lower photos are from Liang's ballet "At First Sight."









(Okay, so you can't really see the Parson's costumes all that well, but they were really cool leotards and unitards with exposed industrial-sized hook and eye-tape down the front.)

I also designed for two faculty choreographers whom I've never worked with before. The first three photos below are from Lone Larson's "Dahab." The third photo is from Peter Kyle's "Polyphany."









Outside of Marymount, I completed a few fun and challenging projects for Jody Sperling's Time Lapse Dance 2008 season at the Ailey Citigroup Theater. The first group of photos (by Julie Lemberger) is from the premiere of the very circusy "Bang for the Buck." The center photos are of an illuminated unitard created for the piece "Ghosts." The costume was designed with technical input from members of NYU's Interactive Technology program and since I don't even own a cell phone, creating with circuit boards, wires, and conductive fabric and thread was a big step for me. The final set of photos (also taken by Julie Lemberger) are from "Ballet of Light" - a piece I actually designed for Jody a year and a half ago, but which just had it's New York premiere. The wonderful projections on the scrim covering the stage were designed by Roger Hanna. The whole spectacle of dance, costumes, lighting, live music and projections was one of the prettiest things I have ever had the honor of contributing to.













Also in Time Lapse Dance news, one of Jody's works was added to the repertory of the acclaimed Dutch company Introdans this year. They decided to have me remake the costume that I originally created for Jody in 2005. Here is a rehearsal photo of the new (and expanded) costume for 'Night Winds' from Jody Sperling's "Roman Sketches."



Last but not least, this year I was also interviewed for Dancer Magazine by Wendy Garofoli. I sound like a big doofus in the article (the quotes were accurate I am afraid) but at least they made a nice montage of my recent designs on the title page. (Note to self: "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.") Here's the montage:



Well, if you've read this far on this looooooong blog post, you are either a: a good friend or b: related to me; so in that case, I'll wish you a very happy holiday season and a wonderful new year! Please keep in touch and let me know what you're up to.

No comments: