Thursday, January 11, 2007

A White Peacock in Vermont


This autumn I had the pleasure a joining Jody Sperling’s Time Lapse Dance in a brief residency at Marlboro College in Vermont. The residency was made possible by the Vermont Performance Lab, and resulted in the creation of a new multi-media collaboration between Sperling, lighting designer David Ferri, architectural designer Philip Drew, and myself. One of Marloboro’s students captured this image of the first movement of the new work, called “The White Peacock.” While it is difficult to see the peacock-feather inspired beading that I stitched in iridescent sequins and glass crystals on the back of the costume, I still think it is a beautiful image. Incidentally, the peacock’s tail detaches from the gown to be used as a cape in subsequent movements of the work. Hopefully, I can locate more pictures soon!

No comments: